We are asked this question a lot because a Mudder event is not a usual event – we’re full of MUD! Here are a few top tips –
- Lots of Layers... The volunteer t-shirt always needs to be the top layer, so we recommend lots of layers underneath that you can adjust as the weather changes throughout the day. And maybe you can even keep one layer mud-free for the trip home.
- Waterproof Gear… It may not be raining, but if you’re positioned on course or at the Finish Line you may want to wear them underneath your clothing to stop the mud covering your clothes. If it’s cold outside, then avoiding getting drenched is a bonus.
- Comfortable Shoes/Boots… It’s likely that you will be standing for a lot of the time you are on site, so we recommend comfortable shoes with good support which you don’t mind getting muddy. Please keep in mind no open toe shoes are allowed.
- Hot Weather… If it’s hot, remember a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses to help protect you.
- Cold Weather… If it’s cold, remember a hat, scarf, gloves, warm socks, a winter jacket and sunscreen to keep you warm and protected.
- Something Wacky… If you’re the type of person who likes to entertain an audience, then bring your colorful wig or favorite tutu! Just make sure your volunteer shirt will fit over any accessories.
- A MASK!!!!
With all of this, remember that the better prepared you are, the more enjoyable your experience will be. We usually see people arrive with certain expectations of the weather and how they would normally dress for an hour or two outside, rather than an 8 – 12 hour shift.